Today we celebrate the ratification of the 19th amendment that gave women the right to vote. Let’s all take a moment today to thank the women who came before us and made this day possible. This generation has been handed an amazing opportunity to live and work freely in this country.
But as we celebrate our foremothers, we must also carry on their work. In this country and around the world, gender discrimination is alive and well.
- Women are paid 78 cents for every dollar earned by a man.
- The U.S. has no guaranteed medical leave for childbirth
- Women only make up 16% of our representatives in Congress
- Abortion and contraceptives are constantly challenged by right wing state governments and religious extremists. Some states require women to view sonograms before an abortion. In Illinois a young woman’s parents must be notified before the procedure.
- Each and every day of our lives we are confronted by magazines, TV ads and movies that challenge our self esteem and our feelings of self worth so that we will buy their product.
This is only a fraction of the things we must continue to fight. So, today, let us be thankful, but let us also be vigilant of the rights we must protect and let us be active in the fight to obtain the rights that we deserve.